Fitzgerald's parents ran the Fox and Hounds from 1983. Helen
married, and became a Taylor, and she and her husband,
Vincent, now run the Fox
& Hounds Inn.
lies approximately four and a half miles south-east of Bedale,
and three-quarters of a mile to the west of the Great North
Road, now known as the A1, originally known as Leeming Lane.
1st (1272-1307) known as the "Hammer of the Scots",
constructed the road as a means of getting to the Scots, and
stopping Scottish raids on the North of England.
road was deliberateley built away from areas of habitation, to
give armies a good uninterrupted passage.
is a typical linear Anglo-Saxon village built over some 2,100
acres. Over the years, its buildings and their uses have been
changed and modernised to form the Carthorpe of today, as may be
seen from a stroll through the village.
show two pictures of the village, one with a good view of the Fox
and Hounds, and an aerial view of Carthorpe.